Sunday 10 October 2010

Interests and New Things

Yesterday was not a day to blog, it was a day to do business.  Catching up on the chores of the week, I set about making the time I spent waiting for the courier useful.  I did the laundry, gathered together the garbage that needed taking to the tip, and waited.  He arrived, we transacted business, and as a result I am now in a position to buy the new boat, a 29'06" Tamarisk gaff cutter.  I had been waiting for two days for him to arrive, because I'd had to go to Glasgow to see what the College there had to offer.

I enjoyed Glasgow very much.  I stayed in a guest house that was low on the salubrious scale, but it was adequate for My needs.  I left on Thursday evening, on the 1727 train.  It was quite exciting, travelling to somewhere new, even if it was on a packed train.  Fortunately, most of the people on the train disembarked at Lancaster, so I was able to get on with checking an exam paper I am giving students tomorrow.  The thing I enjoyed most about Glasgow was that "city" feeling.  I'd forgotten the buzz that a city has, and how people throng the streets after dark.  There was the usual assortment of them, ranging from those with a purpose (locals, gainfully employed) to those wandering aimlessly (the homeless, Me).  Young, older, ancient.  I loved the crowd.  I ate in an Italian restaurant, and the food was satisfactory.  Very salty in places, and laden with cream and cheese for the most part, but tasty and almost exotic in a sense.  My local Italian, Pulcinella's, is better.  I returned to the guest house and finished the presentation I'd started cobbling together in the train before going to sleep.

The interview I thought, went very well.  They would be foolish not to employ Me, but realistically, why would I exchange one FE college for another?  I liked the building, I liked the people, I liked the city, and I also liked the possibility of working there for half the year and using the other half to finish Lucy (or going to sea in a tall ship, or whatever).  If they offer Me the job, I am going to politely refuse it.

I returned home on the Friday, and then life continued.  I came online after a very nice day in which G and I went into Blackpool and did things.  I needed to put money into accounts and generally care-take.  We went to the butcher in South Shore - well, I did, G went to Cash Converters to browse, and I popped across the road to the Army/Navy place to see if they had peajackets in stock.  They hadn't.  We then went down to the yacht club, then on to the new boat.  Financial matters were addressed, and then we went for a drive.  As I drove away, I couldn't help noticing the feeling of being responsible for a vessel again.  There are big tides at the moment, and I was suddenly thinking about how the new boat would cope with these tides.  Of course, she has been doing  so for over a year in the same spot, no reason that the current situation is going to affect her differently now, but, like owning a slave, One is suddenly aware of the responsibility and duty of care.

We drove to the Stork, near Lancaster, where we had an enjoyable lunch.  He donated some money to the RSPB by buying some bird badges.  Of the three on offer, I chose the starling.  I liked the pretty enamelled badge with the hidden colours in the black, just like a real starling.  The boat had a new name.  She was going to be called Starling.  For years I was going to name a boat Star, because I liked the possibilities that the name offered, but Starling is much better.  Pretty little birds that travel long distances, successful travellers.  Nice name for a boat - and also more original than most.  She is currently Laxey Gander, but I think it is the right time to change her name.

Home, to build the last of the ballast boxes for Lucy, and then I finished the book I'd started in Glasgow, and then the internet to see who was online and what was on offer.

I had some interest in My profile, and chatted with three interesting people.  As a result, I now have a new slave under consideration.  Welcome to slave 855, funnily enough from the Glasgow area.  he is 26, fat, and shows promise - but it is early still.  he is a graduate, and from what he says he is a natural born slave who wants the opportunity to serve, so I have put him under consideration.  More about him later.  The second boi is from Brighton, and he is older.  he is 38, and after My most recent experiences with younger bois, he could well be the way to go.  he is in good shape, wants firm control and so is a possibility.  The third boi is in Birmingham, but we just chatted.

While chatting to these bois, I have noticed a change in the way that I relate to them now.  I have had so many of these conversations that I am hardening, which is good.  bois are there to serve.  That is the correct order of things.  I, a naturally nice guy, often forget that and have the tendency to be too nice to slaves.  The fact that I realise this is a good thing, because it means that the slave is not confused by what appear to be conflicting signals.  It is true that I am very affectionate, and that I enjoy displaying that affection to a slave - but there are times to do so.  And I use the affection as a control tool.  The regime is hardening too.  No longer will a slave eat with Me, but on the floor from a bowl.  Not like a dog - if I'd wanted a dog, I'd own one.  The slave's place is the floor, so he can sit there naked and eat his meal after he has attended to My needs.